Tuesday 15 March 2011

Starting the week with a gentle half marathon

Well folks, I usually do what I say I am going to do and last night was no exception.  As soon as I got back from work I put my running gear on, GPS watch and heart monitor included, and headed out of the door ready to do a half marathon.  I debated a while which route to follow, as I prefer running out into the countryside, but the problem with doing that at night is there are no street lights and you can easily sprain an ankle or two.  On top that that if there is no pavement then you are at risk of becoming flattened by passing traffic.

In the end I decided that following the lake shore towards Thalwil would be a good move, as that has a pavement and is lit the whole way.  Unfortunately it is pretty flat (or fortunately depending on your preference), but you can't have it all.  The streets were pretty quiet but I like the silence that running at night affords you.  It is just you, the pavement and the cool crisp air.  And maybe the boogie monster if you believe in that kind of thing.

It wasn't a record breaker but then a training jog isn't meant to be.  The final result was 22.19km in 2 hours 3 minutes and 51 seconds, with an average heart rate of 129bpm.  Job well done.

Pete here is the link to the Garmin data http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73235516

No comments:

Post a Comment