Tuesday 10 May 2011

When you take a few weeks break from yoga you pay the price when you start again

Today I went to yoga at lunchtime.  The thing is I haven't been for a few weeks now, so it was quite tough getting back into the swing of things.  It wasn't so much the pure stretches where I noticed the effect of the break, but rather the movements that required core strength and balance.

Now I will be going regularly again, things should become easier, and hopefully it will help me on the bike.  The main thing I noticed from 2009 is that the yoga meant I could cycle much further before my lower back started aching, and as I have mentioned before, I think it was the yoga that meant I improved my time from the 2008 Marmotte by 3 minutes despite doing significantly less on-the-bike training.

The Pilates has also taken a small break as the teacher was not available for over a month due to taking various training courses.  My next Pilates lesson will be in 2 weeks time.  With the yoga and Pilates combined I think it will for sure help increase my comfort on the bike when cycling for hours on end.  I am not sure what will happen with the Friday lunchtime yoga though, as the teacher is pregnant now it seems.  I can always do an extra yoga class at Holmes Place with my free membership if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment