Friday 2 March 2012

Just tried my first freeze dried meal (smooth oatmeal with raspberries), and all I can say is yum yum

As you know I recently bought tons of freeze dried meals, much more than I need for the MDS itself, so that I can experiment with them beforehand.  Well today I decided to try one of them.  I went for the Mountain House Smooth Oatmeal with Raspberries.  That is the one I plan to have for breakfast each morning before starting each stage.

You simply tear open the pouch, pour on 200ml of boiling water, give it a good stir, wait around 5 minutes and then it is good to go.  I deliberately used cold water instead of boiling water though, because I am not planning to take a stove or fuel to the MDS (in order to save a few grams and space in my pack).  The manufacturer says cold water also works but that you need to allow more standing time, but I wanted to try it out myself and see.

I can report that cold water works just fine and it tasted delicious.  It tasted just as fresh as if I had made it from scratch using fresh raspberries and rolled oats, and I can honestly say that I had never imagined freeze dried meals could taste that good.

In summary I will be very happy to have that each day for breakfast and I just hope the other meals are equally delicious.  Don't worry I will be trying them out over the coming days and weeks and will report back to you.  I may even try making one up during a walk/run and see if I can do it without stopping, as that way I know I could cope doing so during the long stage.  Unless I really need to stop during the long stage I would prefer to eat on the go and save the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment