Tuesday 1 May 2012

First time running in my Vibrams

Today being a day off and all, Anny and I went to Bad Ragaz to enjoy the thermal baths.  Strangely enough in Bad Ragaz everything was open, including Coop and Migros, and it didn't seem like a public holiday there at all.  Even the price we were charged for entry to the thermal baths was the weekday price and not the public holiday price.  I thought that Labour Day was a holiday in the whole of Switzerland, but maybe not.

The baths were great to relax my muscles.  I woke up to another cramp this morning at around 6am.  My left calf muscle just started cramping all of a sudden and Anny was awoken abruptly by the sound of me begging for her help to pull back my toes and stop the cramp from getting worse.  Luckily she did it in time and other than being tighter than usual there was no problem with the muscle afterwards.

The coldest bath was 17C and the hottest bath was 39C, and we spent time in each of them, although not so long in the coldest one.  It was a really great way to relax and unwind and we came back to Zurich very happy and relaxed.

After we got back we put on our running kit and headed out for a 30 minute jog with Negrita.  I decided to run in my Vibram FiveFingers.  It is the first time I have run in them.  The other times I was simply walking in them.  I didn't really find it any problem to run in them, although I was looking very carefully where I was treading when I was on the gravel path next to the Limmat, as if you step down heavily on a large stone it will still hurt, despite the fact that the VFFs do offer some protection.  By the end of the 30 minutes my knees were aching ever so slightly, and I think that I wouldn't have wanted to run for much longer than that.  It did go surprisingly well though, and I didn't feel any soreness in my calves or Achilles tendon like some people have reported.  I will be happy to go running in them again in the next couple of days.

That's all I have to report for tonight, other than the fact that I finished eating the chia bread that I baked the other day.  It tasted delicious but I didn't really notice any huge difference energy wise.  What I think I may do is to take a handful of chia seeds with me on a run, and when I feel I am flagging a little I will eat them and see if that makes me feel any more energetic.  It is quite hard to tell the difference when you are not really flagging and are already pretty energetic like I am usually.


No comments:

Post a Comment